Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Tiger Aims at Fourth Buick Title in Eight Years

Tiger Woods makes his first appearance of the year at this week's Buick Invitational in San Diego, where he will be aiming for his fourth victory in eight starts at the tournament.
He won the title for the first time by two shots in 1999, triumphed by four in 2003 and completed a hat-trick of successes in foggy conditions 12 months ago by three strokes.
Last year's victory at Torrey Pines Golf Course was his first in a PGA Tour strokeplay event since the 2003 WGC-American Express Championship and paved the way for a season of dominance.
Woods went on to win a further five titles, including the U.S. Masters and British Open, and ended his campaign with player of the year honors and tour earnings of more than $10 million.
Never having finished out of the top 10 in eight attempts at Torrey Pines, Woods clearly has a strong affection for the Buick.
"It's a great tournament and it gets lots of local support," he said during last year's event.
"In general, this tournament has always provided a really strong field, with the guys wanting to get off to an early start in the year."
This year is no exception.
Apart from Woods, two other members of the world's top six are set to tee off in Thursday's opening round -- fourth-ranked Phil Mickelson and number six Sergio Garcia.
WOODS LINK
Mickelson, a San Diego native, has another link with Woods this week in that both are bidding to become the first player to win the Buick Invitational four times.
Left-hander Mickelson, making his second successive appearance of the season after tying for fifth at the Bob Hope Classic on Sunday, was champion at Torrey Pines in 1993, 2000 and 2001.
"This is a tournament that means a lot to me because, growing up from here, I was on the outside of the ropes looking in and dreamed of being a Tour player," Mickelson said last week.
"Whenever I play here, I always feel as though I am a 16-year-old kid looking from the outside in, wanting to be doing what I am.
"It gives me a great feeling that I'm realizing those dreams of playing the Tour."
Most eyes this week, however, will be on Woods as he aims to strengthen his grip on the game.
Fresh from a month-long break with his family, the 10-times major winner is about to embark on his 10th full season on the PGA Tour since turning professional in August 1996.
Already the winner of 46 Tour titles and career earnings of $55,770,760, there is still a great deal more he wants to achieve.
"I never thought I'd win 10 major championships in my 20s because that's never happened before," he said shortly before his 30th birthday on December 30 last year.
"Hopefully, my best years are still ahead of me.
"But I have a lot of work ahead of me, and a lot of things I need to do to make myself peak at the right times and get all the things coming together.
"Winning major championships is what I want to do for the rest of my career."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home